Thursday, May 3, 2012

Spring time is Seed time

Photo Courtesy HerStories Photography


Organic food is increasingly popular but most shops treat it as a luxury item to be sold at a premium price. Being able to grow food without pesticides and eat it straight from the garden is superior in every way to produce that is pumped full of additives, packed to prevent it deteriorating, transported and then sold as ‘fresh’. There’s also the understanding that we’re contributing to the sustainability of our planet and reconnecting with the skills that helped past generations cope with climatic or economic disasters.

“I like being able to provide food for my family that is better tasting, more nutritious, and I can control what is used (or isn't) on the plant & soil.”
“I garden to reclaim the skills of self-sufficiency my grandmother and her generation took as routine.”
“Reducing the grocery bills, reducing chemical intake, reducing negative impact on the Earth, reducing reliance on ‘others’ to survive”

I challenge anyone who has tasted a fresh tomato from the vine or sweet corn straight from the plant to tell me that taste isn’t a factor in growing your own. For some it will be a primary motivation – gourmet chefs around the world now have their own gardens and that can be available at home too, picking out wonderful tasty heirloom varieties to grow each year. For others it’s more of a side-benefit but enjoyable none the less. I enjoy cooking so much more since growing my own, especially throwing together Italian vegetables and herbs – with such great-tasting fresh ingredients it’s hard to make mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment